Growing Veggies 101
Join us on a series of workshops deep diving into growing edibles at home. Designed for BEGINNER growers who needs the basic know-how to begin their plant journey.
Date: Saturday, Monthly (View dates in options)
Time: 9am (1hr duration)
Venue: City Sprouts, 102 Henderson Rd S(159562)
Each workshop focuses on a particular topic and you will be guided on how to take care of your plants step-by-step. The curriculum is pace out to uncover all aspects of growing vegetables; different day has a different topics* we deep dive into. (View below more topic details and session dates)
*If you are keen to join more than 1 session, simply add-to-cart the different dates.
Each workshop ends with a plant-clinic consultation session where you can show our instructor the plant problems you faced and received recommendation and advise from our instructor.
This workshop is brought to you by 2StrawHats, a farm in City Sprouts Henderson.
About the instructor - A farmer at heart, Janice from Two Straw Hats Farm has been growing ornamental and edible plants at home for the past 20 years. She is passionate about helping people grow their own food at home for a healthier lifestyle and a greener earth. She also experiments with using under utilised spaces around the house, like air-con and window ledges, to produce more vegetables.
Growing Veggies 101
14 Jan (Sat) 9am - How to grow veggies in soil
- The soil requirements of common veggies such as nai bai, lettuce, kale, basil, mint etc.
- Introduction to the different components of veggie soil mix, including coco peat, peat moss, perlite, vermiculite etc.
- How to choose an appropriate pot or container for the veggie
- Consultation on soil problems
18 Feb (Sat) 9am - How much light do my veggies need
- The light requirements of common veggies such as nai bai, lettuce, kale, basil, mint etc.
- Pros and cons of using LED lights vs natural sunlight
- How to tell if your plant is getting enough light or too much light
- Consultation on lighting problems
18 Mar (Sat) 9am - How much water do my veggies need
- The proper watering technique for plants grown in soil, eg container watering vs ground watering, wetting the leaves vs only watering the soil
- How to tell if your plant is getting enough water or too much water
- Consultation on watering problems
8 Apr (Sat) 9am - How do I fertilise my veggies
- What is the ‘NPK’ on the fertiliser label?
- What kind of fertiliser to choose? Eg organic vs synthetic? Solid vs liquid?
- How to properly fertilise your veggies in solid and
- When and how much to fertilise your veggies
- Consultation on fertilising problems
13 May (Sat) 9am - How do I deal with pests on my veggies
- The various types of common veggie pests
- How to identify an infestation
- How to treat an infestation
- How to prevent an infestation, eg companion planting, pest treatments etc.
- Consultation on pest problems
24 Jun (Sat) 9am - How do I start veggies from seeds
- Types of veggies that can germinate and grow well in Singapore
- Different methods of germinating seeds
- How to choose the right tools for growing seedlings, eg seedling trays vs thumb pots vs directly in a container
- Distancing between plants
- Consultation on seed germination problems
8 Jul (Sat) 9am - How do I grow veggies in a hydroponics setup
- What is hydroponics?
- What equipment is required for hydroponics?
- What veggies can grow in hydroponics?
- Pros and cons of hydroponics vs soil
- Choosing the right hydroponics solution
- Consultation on hydroponics problems
12 Aug (Sat) 9am - Growing kale in Singapore
- How to grow kale from seed to harvest
- Kale soil and light requirements
- How to water and fertilise kale
- How to harvest kale properly
- How to choose the right pot for kale
- Consultation on kale growing problems
9 Sep (Sat) 9am - Growing tomatoes in Singapore
- How to grow tomatoes from seed to harvest
- Determinate vs indeterminate tomatoes
- How to transplant tomato seedlings
- How to stake and trim indeterminate tomato vines
- How to encourage fruiting
- Consultation on tomato growing problems
14 Oct (Sat) 9am - Growing lettuce in Singapore
- How to successfully germinate lettuce seeds
- Lettuce soil and light requirements
- How to water and fertilise lettuce
- How to choose the right pot for lettuce
- When to harvest lettuce
- Pest management for lettuce
- Consultation on lettuce growing problems
11 Nov (Sat) 9am - Growing herbs in Singapore
- How to grow herbs from cuttings / supermarket-bought herbs
- Soil and light requirements of common herbs like basil, mint, rosemary, oregano
- How to water and fertilise herbs
- How to trim and propagate herbs
- Consultation on herb growing problems
9 Dec (Sat) 9am - Game changing tips for growing veggies like a pro
- How to protect and enhance your soil by mulching and using compost
- How to trim your plants
- How to automate watering
- Equipment DIY and hacks
- Maximising your limited space for growing veggies
- Consultation on common plant problems
A minimum number of participants is required to proceed with the session. A full refund will be provided if the minimum number is not reached. Credit for the value of your ticket will be issued in the form of a coupon for any other reasons.
Please note that photos and videos may be taken during activities for the purpose of use on social media, in e-newsletters and on our website. All media will not be used for commercial purposes, or in any manner that would exploit or cause malicious representation.
As a participant, you acknowledge and waive all liabilities and claims on the following:
· Risks of injury from the activity.
· Risks that may arise as a result of an encounter with the presence of animals & plants.
· Heat related injuries and illness including but not limited to heat exhaustion, sunburn and dehydration.